So you want to work as a yacht chef.. you have come to the right place!
From 1 July 2018 we have changed the way we operate. Please read the following carefully.
1) EXPERIENCED YACHT CHEFS?
If you have 1 season or more working on any sized superyacht then please register with us and email us your CV in word format, stcw, ENG1, Ships Cook Cert, Food Hygiene certificates and 2 written and 1 verbal references to info at yachtchefs dot com.
If you have a sample guest 7 menu please also send that and if interetsed in crew chef roles please send sample crew 7 day menu. If you have an Instagram account please include that in your CV in your profile at the top.
We will arrange to meet with you to discuss what job you are looking for and if we can't meet you in person we will conduct a Skype, Whatsapp or Facebook video interview.
We require at least 2 written references and also 1 verbal reference from a recent employer, ideally a yacht captain from your last job
2) NEW TO YACHTING?
a) Are you sous or head chef level with solid restaurant or hotel background, register with us and then contact us by email at info at yachtchefs dot com and we will assist you with our agency placement service!
b) Are you commis or chef de partie level? register with us and apply to our direct job postings which are jobs posted by captains onto our website. Less experienced chefs are more likely to get a job by dock walking, networking and applying directly to captains rather than through our agency palcemnt service as captains want expereinced candidates only when they come to us to use the agency placment service.
WHICH JOB IS RIGHT FOR ME?
First thing to think about is do you want to work on your own, running your own galley and cooking for crew and guests on your own or do you want to work as a chef as part of a bigger team
eg SOLE CHEF or CREW/2ND SOUS CHEF OR HEAD CHEF
- Sole Chefs- you need to be able to manage the menu planning, ordering, shopping and taking care of all needs related to food on the yacht as well as of course cooking the food
- Crew Chefs- cooking for crew only or dual role of crew and assisting head chef with guest food
- Head Chef - managing at least one other chef and running all catering on the yacht, cooking, provisions, accounts, orders etc
To get a job as a chef on a yacht you must have:
1. STCW basic training which should include security awareness
Go to Google and type in STCW 2010 training and your country and it should bring up those training companies in your country who offer this course
2. ENG1 medical certificate - any doctor from this list
3. Food safety/hygiene level 2 or above - any course from level 2 upwards but qual number must be on this list
Dependent on the yacht flag and how many crew you cook for you might need this:
Ship's cook certificate – see free info site I built at www.shipscookcertificate.com